- Reports & Permits
- Gun Permit Information
Gun Permit Information
Permit to Purchase Handguns
Applicants must apply with the city in which they reside and provide a valid Minnesota Driver's License or Minnesota Identification Card with their current address.
Coon Rapids residents should apply at the Coon Rapids Police Department.
- Applicant must be a resident of the City of Coon Rapids.
- Application must be filled out completely. Incomplete applications will be denied.
- Applicant must be at least 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
- Applicant must be 18 to purchase an assault rifle.
- Restrictions are listed on page 4 of the Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application / Receipt Permit to Purchase / Transfer Application.
- Applicant is required to pick up their Permit to Purchase in person and provide either a valid Minnesota Driver's license or Minnesota Identification Card with their current address. Permits are not mailed.
How to Apply
Fill out the gun permit application (PDF) and bring it to the Police Department, Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will need to take a copy of your driver's license (everyone) and a copy of your legal resident card (only if you are not a U.S. citizen) at the time of your request.
Permits are ready after 7 business days. You can call ahead to make sure it is ready or stop in to pick it up. You must come to the Police Department, in person, with a valid photo I.D. to retrieve your permit.
Permit to Carry Handguns
Applicants for a "Permit to Carry" must apply to the county sheriff of the county in which they reside. Coon Rapids residents should send applications to:
Anoka County Sheriffs Office
13301 Hanson Boulevard NW
Andover, MN 55304-4009
If you have questions about Permit to Carry, contact the Anoka County Sheriff's Office at 763-324-5000.
Please note: you do not need a Permit to Purchase if you have a Permit to Carry
Please call the police information desk at 763-767-6481 for additional information.